“EC3” is Judge Thompson’s “Expedited Criminal Case Calendar”. This Calendar will be considered on Thursday afternoons, beginning promptly a 1:30 p.m. Should Judge Thompson not be available on a particular Thursday, then Judge Thompson will try to hold an EC3 at another time during that particular week. Judge Thompson will not hold an EC3 during Trial Weeks or First Appearance weeks. Counsel and pro se litigants are encouraged to contact Judge Thompson’s Judicial Assistant, Christina Jones, with any questions regarding the EC3 Calendar or when the next scheduled EC3 Calendar will be conducted.
For a case to be considered on any particular EC3, all of the following requirements must be complied with:
1) You must obtain the consent of an Assistant State Attorney to have your matter taken up on a specific EC3;
2) You must contact the Court’s Clerk no later than 2:00 p.m. on the day prior to the specific EC3 you desire to request that all files pertaining to the matter you want the Court to consider are brought to the Courtroom for your hearing. Contact is to be made by email to: email@example.com;
3) Court’s Certified Spanish Language Interpreter. You must submit your request online at https://www.circuit5.org/programs-services/interpreting-services/interpreting-services-english/
Please be cognizant of the time requirement when scheduling a court interpreter for your case. 2-3 days in advance for Spanish Language events and 7-10 days in advance for all other languages to include Sign Language and Real Time Court Reporting. Submitting your request with as much advance notice as possible helps us to offer better service. Please promptly let us know of any changes and provide the Zoom link to us (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org
If the date for your request falls during this period of limited court activity due to the COVID-19 pandemic (March 17 – further notice), please know that interpreting services are being provided remotely (telephonically or via a video/audio platform).
If your hearing is scheduled to take place via a video/audio platform such as Zoom, the interpreter will join the hearing via such platform at the specified date and time.
For any non-video/audio platform hearings, interpreting services will be provided telephonically. When ready to hear the case, the court will place a phone call to the interpreter.
4) You must make all necessary arrangements for timely transport if your client is in custody;
5) You must bring a copy of all filings you want the Court to consider on a specific EC3. This is required since your filings may not have been docketed by the time of the EC3;
6) You must not bring a matter to EC3 that cannot reasonably be completed within 15 minutes; and
7) Failure to comply with all of these requirements will result in your matter being passed to a later date.