In order to facilitate court activities during the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Florida State Court System is providing Judges the ability to host court proceedings via Zoom.
Getting Started with Zoom
The Office of Court Administration advises users new to Zoom to watch these videos and review Getting Started Resources before getting started with Zoom.
- Instructions for Virtual Hearings
- Zoom 101 – Sign Up and Download Meeting Client
- ASL- Zoom Instructions for iPhone and iPad devices
- ASL- Zoom Instructions for Android mobile devices
- Joining a Meeting
- Meeting Controls
- Joining and Configuring Audio/Video
- Using Virtual Backgrounds
- Getting Started on Windows and Mac
- Getting Started with Android
- Getting Started with iOS – iPhone
- Joining by Telephone
Tips for Successful Hearings
- Encourage the participants to mute themselves when not speaking in order to avoid any potential background noise.
- Dress in a soft solid color. If a tie is worn, use a solid tie rather than one with a pattern.
- When speaking, remember to look directly at the webcam, not at the screen.
- Position the camera at your eye level or slightly above eye level.
- Be mindful of what is behind you, choose a solid neutral wall if possible
- Check the lighting. Light from a window behind you might blind the camera, making you look dark. Light above you in the center of a room might also cast shadows. Ideally, position a lamp, or sit facing a window, where light is directly on your face. Also be aware that your monitor casts light that can make you look blue.
- Remind the participants to speak one at a time and to pause prior to speaking in case there is any audio/video lag.
- Test your connection and setup with Zoom by testing your connection with a test meeting.